“To Grow up as competent and confident learners and communicators, healthy in mind, body, and spirit, secure in their sense of belonging, and in the knowledge that they make a valued contribution to society.”
Tree Town’s inclusive programme works within the framework of Te Whaariki-the National Curriculum.
The aspirations we have for our children are that they will become lifelong learners who are confident in mind, body and spirit, show respect for others, and have a connection with the natural world.
- Tree Town includes all children, with equitable opportunities for learning irrespective of gender, age, ability, ethnicity, or background.
- Te reo and tikanga Maori are integrated into our daily programme reflecting the bicultural nature of New Zealand and the importance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- We have a ‘child centred’ play environment where children are encouraged to be problem solvers and explorers.
- Teachers provide the tools and support that enable children to gain a sense of independence through attempting tasks and making choices.
“Creating a positive climate for children’s learning and development”
- Our programme is play based with an emphasis on incorporating numeracy and literacy in ways that are meaningful to children.
- Programme planning is based on children’s interests, urges, strengths and needs; and on the development of foundation skills.
- Our preschool has a ‘school readiness’ programme to help prepare children for more formal learning.(www.getreadyforschool.co.nz)
- Behaviour management is based on the ‘Virtues programme’ which is used in a number of Cambridge Schools.
- We have an excellent teacher:child ratio and a high percentage of registered teachers.
- Tree Town teachers are warm, caring, friendly and fun; have a sound knowledge of child development and learning; and are skilled at using ‘teachable moments’. Teachers are vigilant in maintaining positive attitudes and building positive relationships.
- Nutritious morning and afternoon teas are provided.
- We have strong links with the local community.
- Tree Town welcomes all families and whanau at any time and we encourage family/whanau participation in our Centre.